Friday, June 08, 2007

It's HOT!


And I'm not talking about what I'm writing. I'm talking about the weather!

This time of year, I begin to hear an often muttered phrase around town... "It's not the heat, it's the humidity..." Sure it is. With a high today of 98 and a heat index of up to 103, I would say it's both.

When I was in college it was fun to watch all of the students who were transfers from cooler climates. You could pick them out from four blocks away because they looked like they were melting to the pavement.

Our doggie, Buckley, and I have been hiking each afternoon. We started over a month ago. He because he has anxiety with storms and it's a great way to use up his excess energy, me because I HAVE to loose weight. So we began hiking 45-60 minutes a day in a local state forest. It's beautiful and when the temps were in the 70's and 80's it was terrific.

For the past week though, we've only gotten to hike once. Most days we had brief afternoon storms. Enough of a storm to make going hiking on red dirt a bad idea, not enough to help our drought. Yesterday it was clear, so we dashed for the park. And it killed us both. Nearly.

Buckley is always full of energy. When we walk, he darts from place to place checking everything in the forest out. And if I walk ahead of him, he zooms past me. By the end of our walk, he was lagging behind me and when we stopped for water, he looked at me as if to say, "Do we HAVE to keep going?" We did. But it was a shorter walk at only about 30 minutes. And it was a WALK. No jogging or speed walking.

So today even though it isn't storming, we decided to take it easy and stick to the cool air of the house. Maybe I'll convince Buckley to get on the treadmill with me. Although he seems skeptic.

That's me, what's it like in your neck of the woods?

April

PS I did not put Buckley in clothing. Believe it or not, that was dh's doing. It's a jersey for our local university. It lasted a full ten minutes before Buckley showed his unhappiness and it came off:o)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's finally summer here. Last year it had been in the 100s a month. Good job on the walking and Buckley looks so cute. Nice eye candy too. :-)

Julie S said...

That's great you've been hiking every day. I wish I could do that but I live in the land of no terrain, so hiking is useless. And it's definitely been hot.

I like Buckley's shirt!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you don't dress your dog. My bro has a Yorkie and insists on dressing him in the winter. If he weren't married and cover model material, I swear, I'd make him turn in his man card.

Karen Erickson said...

Good for you on the hiking. I need to do something to motivate my butt.

It's very hot here - and our a/c broke last night!! Waaah!! Thank goodness we have a pool.

Anonymous said...

I was gonna say that guy was cute but then I saw the dog! How adorable!!

April said...

Whew, Marybeth... Thank goodness the 100s have stayed away. We're in for a cool spell next week... Low 90's ;o)

LOL, Julie! I live in the "sandhills" which tells you what we have... Hills, but they're mainly made of sand. Thankfully the park I walk in has a great forest and is along a river, so there's a lot of terrain :o)

LOL, Jenna. Hubby doesn't dress Buckley much. But he couldn't resist the jersey!

Karen, a pool would be so nice... if only we didn't live on opposite sides of the country :o)

Thanks, Suzanne. I think they're both pretty cute too :o)

Lis said...

Awww, Buckley's cute! :o)

The weather here is either summery and hot (too hot to do anything) or rainy and freezing cold. Apparently Alberta knows no middle ground.

Cole Reising said...

Oh that's great April! Good job on the walking! I've not done that kind of thing at all lately! :( And our weather? mid to high 90's lately. Just like you. :)

Cole

Dara Edmondson said...

I'm an indoor exerciser. Wish I could manage the outdoors. DH and I walk outside every Sunday, but during the week, I defer to the gym's air conditioning! Good luck. Buckley's adorable!

KATZ said...

I keep checking here for a new post... but then I see the hot guy in the water, and I smile, and it's all good.
LOL

Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Buckley is da bomb - adorable!

Glad to know you're still up and about, even if not in the same neighborhood. *G*