Friday, November 04, 2005

Visual Research...

I've been doing some visual research. It's a bad habit I have. It's one of my many procrastination tools. It works really well. Then I thought, I wonder if everyone else knows about these resources!?! So, I thought I would dedicate this post to sharing some of the resources I've found for visual research.

My hubby is a graphic designer. He taught me early on that when I need a picture of something all I have to do is take a peek at some stock photography. Much of the photography you see on the web and in magazines is stock photography. I know. I thought they got that girl and guy to pose next to a bed for the Cosmo articles too. But alas, no they didn't.

Now some caveats come with this info. Stock photo companies allow you to download/save protoypes of their pictures. Some place a faded logo across the pictures. Some don't. Either way, you can save them for inspiration. However, you cannot post them anywhere unless you're willing to pay the price for the photos. The prices are always listed and usually range from $50 up. However, as long as you don't plan on using them on publishing them, you can peruse all the samples all you want. With that said, here are some of my favorite stock photo sites:
www.gettyimages.com
www.photos.com
www.comstock.com
www.picturequest.com


You can find just about anything on these sites. One secret is to be specific in your search criteria. In almost all instances, to save the sample you right click on it and click save as then save it where you want it.

I would share some of my own images with you that I've sampled however, that would be a total breach of everything I told you before, so I'll just keep them to myself.

However, I will give one more hint. The next time you're logging onto the internet and you see a picture you like, note if there is a credit of where it came from on it. For instance I found picturequest by seeing a picture on an AOL screen. If you like that picture, you may find that you like others they have.

Now I'm off to a writer's retreat weekend. So, I should have loads of useful information when I get back Monday. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

April

No comments: