Monday, November 28, 2005

Working with My Hands...

At a recent Lowcountry RWA retreat, Susan Wiggs gave a presentation on story preparation. One tool she strongly suggested is making collages.

I've seen and heard a lot of authors doing this. So, our activity was to search for pictures that reflected something or someone in our stories. Susan suggested that we use pictures that speak to us, even if at that moment we don't understand why.

We didn't really have enough time to complete our projects and... I'll admit I'm too much of a talker when I'm in a big group, so I had a hard time concentrating, but at least I got other people's take on the subject. Anyway, long story short, I have completed a collage for my next story.

It took me a while because when I got back I was on information overload and then we had the episode with granny, so I've had other matters to deal with too. But I'm happy to have finally gotten this done. And what's even better, Susan was right, to boot. I learned so much about my characters! It was really revealing. A picture of it is at the side.

So, now I'm going to go and work on the other preliminary work for the story. My goal is to be writing by 12/15.

April

No comments: